The challenge this month was to make beautiful things with this stamp set. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am not a flower person, so this truly was a challenge for me! This was also my first chance to play with the Distress Oxides that recently came out. So, I'm not sure these cards qualify as beautiful, but they are darned unique and whoever ends up with one of them better appreciate that I like them enough to send them a dang card I made by hand.
That is all.
Adding water to the ink as it is on the paper will make the colors morph a little bit. The water "stains" the existing ink. After I had the Distress Oxides inks down the way I wanted them, I added a few patches of dark ink on a piece of bubble wrap to add a different texture to the paper.
I did a little free-hand painting on the gatefold card images using the ink left on the acetate after making the background paper. I added in some loops of the orangey fibers from the Boardwalk kit and popped in a sentiment. Which I cut apart to make it smaller for the card.
I stamped one of the tall flowery images on the background with black ink, waited for it to dry, then ran it through my Big Shot to create the small window in the card. H mounted it onto a black piece of cardstock slightly smaller than the card base. I stamped the birthday sentiment from the kit onto a piece of cardstock, mounted it onto a scrap piece of coordinating paper, and added the whole schmear into the opening. After it was all said and done, I added some white gel pen to the flowers/weeds. Kind of like that background!
FInally, I free-hand painted the daisy looking flowers onto some linen watercolor paper I picked up someplace. Stamping the image on was tough because of the uneven texture, so some flowers look more, uh, flowery, than others. The Distress Oxide inks layer on each other instead of becoming a big smear, I double mated the image and attached it to a card base. I stamped the sentiment on a piece of coordinating cardstock and stuck it behind part of the pop-out from the thank you card. And because I just couldn't leave it alone, I added Sakura glaze ink to the inside of the flowers.
Thanks so much for coming by.. Just click on the arrow below to get to your next stop, Donna's "Hawthorn Hill" blog!