You've probably landed here after visiting Donna's Hawthorn Hill blog, and I'm the last stop of the hop. If not, and you want to start at the beginning, click here where you can also get a look at hop list.
I'm so glad you stopped by! I made a few cards I really like - I can't always say that - and am excited to share them with you.
I assembled the card base by adding the dark panel on top of a white card base. I ran the front cover through the Big Shot one hundred and seventeen times to get the die through all the layers.
Next, I stamped the Happy Birthday sentiment, embossed it, and layered the panel onto a contrasting panel and popped a faux metal enamel dot from the "Color Me Happy" kit from last month.
I went back to the card base and added white gel pen accents on the darkest card stock, socked in the "roses," added glitter, and popped up the one in the center, and attached the sentiment.
Lastly, I added a strip of patterned paper from one of the cut-aparts on the bottom edge to accent the scalloped edge.
Nope, not yet. Something's amiss. What is it?
Oh, I know, add a border using that cool technique I "invented" a week ago or so~ I used my Sakura Glaze pen so it's shiny and raised. Just what it needed!
This little "beauty" was super easy to make with the cut-aparts that come in the deluxe kit. (See what I did there? Huh? Huh?)
I clipped out three of the sides of the center panel and attached the outer part to a base, which I attached to another base, and again for a total of three back layers.
Wrapped a strand of the fibers that came in the kit around the top and Bob's your uncle!
This is a great card for someone you have to acknowledge but really don't like 'cause there so little space to write!
| || |
Awwwww. Seriously, how cute is this little card?
For the record, this is a card that went south after about the third step. I cut the front panel and attached it to the card base. Next I used a white gel pen to trace the inside of the die I used to make the front panel. Of course, it shifted about halfway through the process, so I had to improvise the white lines.
And then came the problem: poorly stamped images using the small coin-type stamp that came on the Jumbo stamp sheet. My first couple images were good, but after that, the images either had too much ink or too little ink.
Holy papercrafting opportunity, Batman!
I got out a little circle die I unearthed from the obscenely cluttered space I call my work surface and cut out circles of three light neutral colors from the kit and turned the card into a new baby card.
Not a succulent in sight, but the save was worth a mention nonetheless!
I watched the following video to make sure the idea that was in my head would actually work. Super-duper easy but looks like a big deal. (It'll be our little secret!)
I distressed the patterned paper on the front of the card. Ran scissors along the edges, rolled the edges with my fingernails, chewed on the edges a little to give it a stranded-without-food-on-a-deserted-island-so-this'll-have-to-do appearance. Moderately effective and the cardstock didn't taste nearly as awful as I expected. (Or if you want the distressed look without all the hassle, wait to cut cardstock until 30 minutes before a deadline. Without fail, your trimmer blade will be as dull as a bread knife and shred the edges for you!)
I matted it and added it to the front of the card. I added a bow that took on a life of its own, but by that time, is was waaaay too late to turn back. Finally, I tucked the sentiment onto the front.
Inside, I added a strip from one of the cut-aparts at the top and bottom of the card to give it a finished look.
Oh, and there were those things that stand up. The letters were from my stash and the plastic came from something I dragged out of the trash. Recycling at its finest!
Some things to note:
1. The width can be whatever you want it to be, but that 2" extra on the length is a must to make sure your pop-ups have enough cardstock to grab onto at the base.
2. Most of the beautiful papers we get from Club Scrap are quite thick. Scoring the cardstock to make the interior folds was challenging. If you plan on mailing a card made with this pattern and Club Scrap papers, be ready to pay extra . . . It's quite bulky!
3. You can pretty much squeeze anything onto those clear strips, just bear in mind the heavier the items, the thicker the clear strips need to be